Power2Motivate is created by CarltonOne. We have one goal: to make work mean more. We have one mission: to fund climate change eco-action. And we believe that this mission and this goal are directly connected.
We inspire millions of employees around the globe every day. We understand more than most companies the opportunity for positive global change that our products and community of members can create.
We believe we have the global capability to make a significant impact. Our products can fund the planting of hundreds of millions of trees, removing billions of pounds of CO2 from the atmosphere. We can support ecosystem conservation and species protection. We can bring hope and livelihoods for families less fortunate than ours. This is our purpose. Click to download the attached PDF for a visual brochure of this post.
DOWNLOAD SUSTAINABILITY BROCHURE >>
We can accomplish our purpose by making work mean more. More than projects, meetings, deadlines or money. By offering easier recognition, greater rewards, healthy wellness, family savings, and simple climate action — we make members happier and companies stronger. Our products make work more meaningful.
Using our global footprint to reduce our carbon footprint
We weigh the ecological responsibility of our international scope, and have intentionally structured our solutions to minimize the carbon footprint of our operations. This is both climate-positive and our competitive advantage. We procure and fulfill locally in every possible market, reducing shipping costs, delivery times and CO2 emissions.
However, reducing carbon emissions is not enough. Increasing carbon sequestration, or removing greenhouse gas from the atmosphere, is critical to stabilizing rising temperatures. And while the science of climate change is complex, the solution is remarkably simple. One effective way to reduce greenhouse gas is to plant more trees. Trees and mangroves naturally absorb and store dangerous carbon. While one mature tree can remove up to 48 lbs. of carbon every year, mangroves can remove up to 4 times more.
We have designed a unique business model that converts member actions on our platforms directly into climate change funding. It’s being applied now across all our products, across all our markets.
We fund Eden Reforestation Projects
We have engaged Eden Reforestation Projects as our first tree planting partner. Founded in 2004, Eden Reforestation Projects is recognized as one of the most cost-effective reforestation partners on the planet. When we plant trees, we’re also growing communities. Eden Reforestation Projects targets high-priority sites suffering from deforestation and severe poverty.
Our direct funding is being used to plant in Madagascar, Nepal, Kenya, and Mozambique. Today, we’re planting a new tree every 6 seconds - with a goal this year of 5 million trees, and 100 million trees every year by 2022. See our tree tracker at carltonone.com.
Here are some of the specific accomplishments we have already achieved:
- In the shadow of Mt. Everest in Nepal we have planted 150,000 new native trees to help stabilize the soil against frequent mudslides. Our project there provides steady employment to local communities that previously would not have had any income. We’re proud to help provide enough income stability to spark new women-led microbusinesses.
- In Madagascar, our funding for mangrove planting has created 106 full-time jobs in the local Mahajanga community. We are on-track to plant 1.5 million mangroves in the Betsiboka region this year alone. This critical employment has enabled villagers in this area to become more independent, and be less vulnerable to exploitation by a local gang who cut down mangroves and bake them to form valuable charcoal.
- In the southeast African country of Mozambique we have funded the planting of 298,263 new mangroves on the shores of the Rio Tembe river. This mangrove reforestation project addresses not just the environmental needs along the Rio Tembe river, but also the urgent humanitarian needs of the local community. Our planting partner is now able to provide regular work to many local poverty-stricken families.
These are just 3 examples of the projects we have underway. Tree planting, and the ongoing nurturing and protection of new forests brings local villagers critical jobs, food security, social empowerment and a reliable income. We’ve been able to fund nearly 13,000 workdays of local employment in the countries our planting projects are operating.
Growing our mission beyond trees
In addition to our tree funding commitment, we’re also proud of our other sustainability initiatives:
- We have made a major 5-year commitment to The Sierra Club, to protect the summer whale calving waters in the Gulf of St. Lawrence
- We are negotiating major support for The Ocean Cleanup organization, to help develop technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic
- Our corporate offices have a zero-waste, zero-paper, zero-plastic policy
- Even pre-pandemic, we restricted corporate travel and encouraged commute-free remote work
- We have funded an urban beehive colony of 12,000 bees on a nature reserve beside our office.
The power of a purpose-driven company
These are not simply donations or corporate goodwill. These are intentional, sustainable and strategic actions that support our fundamental concern about impending climate change. We have the reach, the capability, the passion (and now) the business model to do something about it. We believe this clarity of purpose will help us attract both exceptional talent and exceptional clients.
The rewards are considerable. A study of 50,000 companies found that purpose-driven businesses outperformed the S&P by 400% over 10 years. Employees who feel that their work is more than just a job were 4x more likely to work harder, 11x more loyal to their employer and 14x more likely to look forward to coming to work. Productivity increases of up to 225% were reported of employees that were inspired by the purpose of their employer.
These positive results expand beyond our workforce, as all stakeholders — our partners, vendors and customers — will benefit from our pursuit of positive eco-action.
What we do with the weekday hours of our years at CarltonOne will define us. We choose not to waste those hours on anything less than creating our life’s best work.